Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Girls' Shared Room

Look at me go, posting two days in a row. That never happens, except for when I have fun things to share, which I totally do.
I recently finished re-doing the girls room. I have been working on the little man's nursery and the girls' room simultaneously but couldn't really finish either room until we moved Avery in with Heidi. That was a scary little leap for us, but shockingly the girls do better sleeping together than in separate rooms. Its sort of insane, but totally wonderful. Its really fun to listen to them chatter and laugh at each other as they are falling asleep.
Sisters are so fun. And decorating a girls room is way more fun and about a million times easier for me than decorating a little boy nursery. I'm naturally drawn to feminine things, what can I say?
So, two years ago, I totally redesigned this room for Heidi's nursery and it looked like this:
I really loved this nursery. It was calming and girly and just fresh feeling. But because we are having children like rabbits over here, we need this space to accommodate both girls, which in my language translates to: "Change everything!!". So I did.


To my credit I didn't change everything, the chair and crib are the same, aaand that's about it.
Obviously I was over the whole "calming, pastel" look, so I just kind of went nuts with colors and bold patterns and tried not to overthink it.
First thing I did was paint over all the yellow walls with a fresh coat of white paint. Then I stenciled that one wall of trees, which was super hard and annoying. Avery loves those trees though, and it makes my heart happy when she lovingly rubs her face against them.
That rug, aka "the rug that pretty much everyone has in their house", is from a little hole in the wall called IKEA. Ever heard of it? I know its an overdone rug, but the price it great and even better than the price it adds so much to the room. It really makes the space feel bigger. Also, you should know now, this room is really hard to photograph, so I apologize for the weird angles.

I really didn't want to spend hardly any money on the curtains, so I used the curtains from Avery's old nursery that were peach, and dyed them this bright and poppy tangerine color. They are far from perfect as far as the dye job goes, but you can't beat $5 curtains. 

The girls' bedding is all fabric from Joann's. Their blankets are just duvet covers, basically just sewing big pillow cases. And because their beds are weird sizes for regular down comforters, I bought a twin size down comforter and cut in half, then serged it and they were the perfect size for their beds. Donzo.

That bench is my favorite piece of furniture in the room. I got for $7 at goodwill and recovered it with fabric I already had on hand. I talk a lot about how much things cost because getting a good deal for something awesome must be rubbed in other people's faces, I kid, I kid. Sort of, mostly.

That painting....I had this idea to let the girls paint something to hang up on the wall. So I bought a bunch of cheap acrylic paints, took the girls outside in their skivvy's and let them go wild. It was apparent really quick that if I didn't intervene, this painting was going to look like Avery had gone back to her days of fecal smearing. It was brown. Duh. A ton of wet colors mixed together by two crazy girls was going to turn brown. So I let it dry, then attempted, without their help, to bring some color back onto the canvas. It turned out okay, not what I had in mind, but Avery loves that she helped paint it, which was the point. So I am calling it a win.




These pictures are total fantasy land, by the way. What I mean by that is, this room is NEVER this clean. We don't have a separate playroom, so this room is where all of their toys are kept and played with all day. It gets crazy real fast. Honestly, I am surprised I was able to keep it clean long enough to take these pictures.

The end.

1 comment:

  1. super cute as always! I think Avery just wanted to remember her poop smearing days with that painting.

    ReplyDelete