Monday, August 23, 2010

22 Going On 14

This past Sunday was our Stake's Youth Standards Night. Steve was obligated to go since he is in Young Men's, and he guilted me into going with him. I really don't like going to these events, mostly because I know we are going to run into a million of Steve's current/past students and they are all going to want to talk to him about how much they miss him, what a great teacher he was, blah, blah, blah....while I stand by with absolutely nothing to say to these hoodlums. This time, however, the pain of it all was much more acute than usual. The evening had progressed as I expected, after the program ended Steve and I stood in a circle talking to past students of his, when one of the student's parents approached the circle, looking at me inquisitively, like he was trying to remember my name. Let me just say, I have had a conversation with this man, he is a high councilman and he speaks at our ward often. He spoke. "Are you...are you his wife?" referring to Steve. "You look like one of these 14 year olds." Thank you sir. That was a very kind thing you've just said, thank you for giving me a complex about going in public with my husband. This guy must have thought to himself that Steve was a pedophile scamming on some 14 year old girl. I will not be attending another Standard's Night until I'm in my 30's, just to be safe.

1 comment:

  1. haha! That is sooo funny Ginger! Just wait until your pregnant and people think that you are 14!

    ReplyDelete